Creepy Critter Cupcakes (you may also enjoy Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes)
Spooky creatures have never been this tasty! Jelly Belly jelly beans and Confections make these cupcakes perfect for Halloween, or any time you want a scary treat.
- 4 jumbo cupcakes, baked in orange paper liners
- 12 standard cupcakes, baked in orange paper liners
- 1 can (16 oz) chocolate frosting
- 32 Jelly Belly Mint Cremes (about 4 oz)
- 32 Jelly Belly Licorice Pastels (about 1 oz)
- 6 cups (about 3 lbs.) Jelly Belly jelly beans in flavors: Watermelon | Juicy Pear | Island Punch
- 64 Jelly Belly Assorted Wiggle Worms (about 1 lb., 2 oz.)
- 16 Very Cherry Jelly Belly jelly beans (about 1/2 oz)
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the chocolate frosting into a small zipper bag. Press out the excess air and seal. Snip a small corner (1/8 inch) from the bag. Pipe a dot of frosting on the flat side of the Mint Cremes and attach a Licorice Pastel to make the monster eyes.
- Working on 1 cupcake at a time, spread some of the chocolate frosting on top of a cupcake, mounding slightly. Arrange like colored Jelly Belly jelly beans all around the outer edge of the cupcake lengthwise from center to outer edge. Place another row of jelly beans, slightly overlapping the first row. Continue adding rows of Jelly Belly jelly beans until it is covered. Remove 4 of the jelly beans along the outer edge and in their place add the ends of 4 Wiggle Worms as legs. Add a dot of chocolate frosting to secure if necessary. Pipe dots of frosting and attach the Mint Creme eyes and red jelly bean nose on top of the cupcake. Repeat with the other cupcakes, jelly beans and frosting.
MAKES 16 CUPCAKES
For more great cupcake recipes by Karen Tack and Allan Richardson, check out Hello, Cupcake!, available here.