• 2 ¼ C. cake flour
• 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 ¼ C. sugar
• ½ C. butter
• 1 C. milk
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 4 egg whites
• ¾ C. lemon or lime curd
• Green food coloring
• ½ C. (6 oz.) Green Apple Jelly Belly jelly beans
• ¼ C. (4 oz.) Lemon Lime Jelly Belly jelly beans
• ¼ C. (4 oz.) French Vanilla or Coconut Jelly Belly jelly beans
• 1 lb. (one package) confectioner’s sugar
• ½ C. (one stick) butter or margarine
• 5-6 tbs. milk or cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Cream butter until light and fluffy and add sugar. Combine sifted ingredients in
three parts into butter, alternating with the milk. Stir in vanilla. Whip egg
whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Pour into two greased
and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks
10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
2. For frosting, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in
confectioner’s sugar. Beat in milk one tablespoon at a time until spreading
consistency is achieved.
3. To assemble, tint lime curd with a few drops of green food coloring until
desired color is achieved. Fill thoroughly cooled cake layers with lime cud.
Frost top and sides of filled cake with frosting.
4. Using a wooden pick, lightly outline a shamrock on frosted cake; use Green
Apple Jelly Belly jelly beans to outline shamrock. Fill in with additional Green
Apple beans; occasionally intersperse Lemon Lime and multi-colored beans for
interest. To make border around cake bottom, gently press Green Apple
alternately with Coconut or French Vanilla beans into frosting around bottom of
cake. Press Lemon Lime beans in a row above the border.
Tip: For cooks in a hurry: use a white cake mix and prepared vanilla frosting.
Follow directions to assemble cake.